12/12/2020 Update: I put this on hold. The reason for this is that I made the decision to try to freelance after the first of the year so I wanted to put my learning into other areas.
11/30/2020 Update. My father-in-law was ill for several weeks before passing so this project had to take a bit of a back seat. I am now back working on it.
It’s been great being a functional develop again at my apprenticeship. However, I want to continue to enhance my skills and put more tools into my toolbox so I thought that I would start a new project. It seemed fun to try to re-make twitter so that’s what I am going to do.
Ok, full disclosure – there are several “how to re-make twitter in React” tutorials laying around. I have checked them out to varying degrees but I am not following them to make this app. Instead I wanted to piece together multiple concepts into my own application.
Git Repository: https://github.com/adamcodes716/twitterless
- Create a new application from the template that I created during this React course. Complete
- Host the application on Heroku. Complete
- Automate the build from main branch on github (I had previously done it via Heroku CLI). Complete
- Use Firestore instead of Firebase as the backend database. In Progress. To be honest I am wondering if this was even worth the time since I coded it to use redux store. I spent a lot of time navigating around the differences between version in redux (there may have been some swearing). I finally got a to a good spot and I am continuing on.
- Create a user registration. In Progress
- Create process for new tweet creation.
- Allow users to retweet.
- Allow users to like tweets.
- Allow for real-time updates, possibly using socket.io.